Using Forms as a Checklist

Options
Bladerunner
Bladerunner ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi

I have a list of 96 items which need to be checked off as a QA task. I have the 96 items in the Primary Column and I have 8 further columns, four checkboxes for "Compliant", "Non-compliant", "Unable to Check" and "Not Required", one plain text column for "Comments", one contact list for "Next Action For" a text column for "Required Action" and a final column with "Date Required By".

I want to be able to use a form that can be opened on a mobile device and the items checked off and commented against. From looking at other Forum posts it seems that a form will only add a new row, so in effect item 97 and it can't update existing rows. I can't find a discussion any later than 2015 though, so I was hoping the functionality may have been added or a workaround found. I don't really want to send an email with 96 actions that need to be individually selected and updated.

I'm guessing this is because the forms can only push information to Smartsheet and can't pull the information for the next row?

Here's hoping it's possible...

Regards. Ben.

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/20/18
    Options

At this point, forms only create new rows. But you could set up an update request that reoccurs and sends out regular updates. This would be based on a time or otherwise and would require it to be pushed out each time it needed to be updated as update requests only work once and then a new update would have to be pushed. 

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/504779-using-update-requests

• MattH
    Options

Mike, if the frequency for an update request to say weekly, wouldn't the recipient receive an update request weekly regardless of whether or not the update request was updated the previous week? Or am I misunderstanding? 

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, they would receive a new request. But the way that a request works, is, once a request has been accessed from email, the link to the update form dies. So a user would only be able to use the Update Request once to update the form, then they'd have to wait for the next one to come. They couldn't use the same request to update the sheet more than once. Make sense? 

• Bladerunner
    Options

thanks, Mike. That is an acceptable work around for what I'm trying to achieve.