What happens to sheets when sheet owner is removed from system?

Misty Evans
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

We are having an issue with a sheet that was owned by a terminated employee.  When the user was removed from Smartsheets, the sheet disappeared too.  Has anyone dealt with this and how did you recover the sheet?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  

Comments

• Joey Razzano
    Joey Razzano ✭✭✭✭

You should have a group or license administrator that can access the sheets owned by the terminated employee - so, depending on your plan, the owner of the account is the one that can recover it. If that fails, contact yoru smartsheet rep - they are very responsive about sheets and ownership changes. Good luck!

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When a user is removed (Deleted) via the admin screen, the Admin is best to work down the list offered from Top to bottom, one of which is  "Transfer owned items to other user"... before deleting them, however if this was not done, maybe try the Deleted Items bucket at the bottom of the Home screen? 

Hope that helps.

RichardR

• HELP PLEASE! Looking for any advice, tips/tricks, and suggestion...

We have several locations who have had very important sheets created for them at the conception of their build out. Corporate originally created these sheets then transferred ownership to a member onsite. All of a sudden, those sheets just vanished and we can not find them. We have reached out to support many times with no luck at all, and not even a reason as to why.

Does anyone in this community chat know why this is happening, how to stop it, and if there is a way to retrieve the missing sheets. Any suggestions are greatly appreciate, as I have gotten no where.

Thanks

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Dborrelli

I hope you're well and safe!

Do you know if all of them had the same owner?

Is that owner still around?

If yes, ask them to check their deleted folder, and if the missing sheets are there, they can right-click and restore them.

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.