Date Formula

Kim McNamara
Kim McNamara ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi 

I am trying to count the number of items that are for a particular month and year.

eg:  I would like to count the number of items submitted for the month of Jan 2018

the column I am wanting to pull the data from is a date column

Tags:

Comments

• Chris McKay
    Chris McKay ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Kim,

As per the screencap:

Month - dropdown with January, February etc.

Year - dropdown with 2017, 2018 etc. (as per your requirements)

Count - formula: =COUNTIF([Submitted Merged]:[Submitted Merged], [Search Date]1)

Submitted Date: Just a regular date field

Search Date - formula: =IF(Month1 = "January", 1 + " " + Year1, IF(Month1 = "February", 2 + " " + Year1, IF(Month1 = "March", 3 + " " + Year1, IF(Month1 = "April", 4 + " " + Year1, IF(Month1 = "May", 5 + " " + Year1, IF(Month1 = "June", 6 + " " + Year1, IF(Month1 = "July", 7 + " " + Year1, IF(Month1 = "August", 8 + " " + Year1, IF(Month1 = "September", 9 + " " + Year1, IF(Month1 = "October", 10 + " " + Year1, IF(Month1 = "November", 11 + " " + Year1, IF(Month1 = "December", 12 + " " + Year1, ""))))))))))))

Submitted Merged - formula: =IF(LEN([Submitted Date]1) > 0, MONTH([Submitted Date]1) + " " + YEAR([Submitted Date]1), "")

You can then hide the Search Date and Submitted Merged columns when you're satisfied it works OK.

I used Month & Year dropdowns to provide a nicer user experience, but you can simplify the whole thing by just asking the user to pick a date.

Hope this helps.

submittedcount.png

• Hi Chris

Thank you for your help but unfortunately I cannot get the formulas to work.  I keep getting an error.

I am sure I am missing a detail but can't seem to identify it.

Count formula shows a blocked error

Search Date formula shows a unparseable error

Submitted Marge formula accepts the formula but shows no results

I have created columns as per your suggestion and added the formulas to the first row of each column

Kim

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!