Lost work!

HayleyBHE
HayleyBHE
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi, I don't know if you can help...I just wrote for a long time in one cell in Smartsheet, and my eye kept being drawn to that save icon...and the icon stayed grey. This usually means there is auto-saving going on, so I didn't think anything of it. After hitting F11 to go fullscreen for a minute so I could see lower on the expanding cell field, everything I had typed in the past hour disappeared. It's not in the cell history, it's nowhere. I experimented after and I have to hit enter and get out of the cell to save. I don't know why everything disappeared, but I'm kind of heartbroken right now. Is this something anyone's every experienced?

Thanks!

Hayley

Tags:

Comments

• Hi Hayley,

Hitting F11 may have resulted in you escaping out of the cell (the opposite of hitting Enter), which returns the cell back to the state that it was in prior to you expanding it for editing. Since F11 is a browser- or operating system-specific command, it's likely that the browser override what you were doing in Smartsheet.

Hitting Enter after you edit will keep the information in the cell.

It's also important to Save your work after you hit Enter.

There isn't a way to recover information that has been escaped out of a cell in this manner.

Going forward, I'd recommend hitting Enter, and then clicking the Save icon in the toolbar before using any browser/OS commands (such as F11).

• F11 definitely clears out the field. Doesn't matter if it is saved or not.

Verified in IE, Edge, and Chrome.