SUMIFS Formula Needed for Multiple Calculations Summing from the Same Column

Options
Jennifer M
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I am working on a budget sheet, and need to be able to calculate OPEX expenses per site, and CAPEX expenses per site.  I've got 6 different sites, and need these totals for each quarter.  The formula below seems to work, but I can't use it more than once within the same column without getting a circular reference error.  This is making me crazy...please help!

=SUMIFS([Q2-2018]:[Q2-2018], [Expense Category]:[Expense Category], "OPEX", [Site]:[Site], "SiteName")

Screenshot.PNG

Tags:

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/23/18
    Options

If you are searching the entire column, you can't add your summary data to the same column. It would infinitely keep adding your sum total to the column total.

You could use direct references. Rather than the whole column. In the formula below I am looking at rows 1-8 only. =SUMIFS([Q2-2018]1:[Q2-2018]8, [Expense Category]1:[Expense Category]8, "OPEX", [Site]1:[Site]8, "SiteName")

The problem with calling specific rows is that your data might live beyond the specific rows you are calling, and therefore miss summing some data. Can you create some summary rows at the bottom or top of your sheet? And then sum your data in a separate column rather than in the same column? Then your use of the entire column range would work for you.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!