Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Saving Sort criteria for later use

Options
2»

Comments

• Brad Jones
    Brad Jones ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Could we extend this feature request to also include user defined sort order for the Update Request window? (or just put the newest at the top)

By default, the UR window sorts the entries from oldest to newest.  This is ok if your project only lasts a few months, but in my company our projects run anywhere from 16 months to 3.5 years.  During that time the UR window gets very full of requests, and to manage them I have to either manually change the sort order every time, or scroll to the bottom of the window each time.

What I would like is if we could change the default sort order of the UR window to have the newest at the top (just like the comments are sorted).  I actively manage six project workspaces, which will double soon, so I do alot of clicking and scrolling.  It would be so convenient if the newest UR was at the top.

Thanks y'all.

• Craig Burch
    Options

We have several sheets that function as multidepartmental task coordination centers. Having auto sorting would greatly simplify operation and eliminate wasted time and other issues by less experienced users.

• Andrew Ryba
    Andrew Ryba ✭✭✭
    edited 02/13/17
    Options

This would be incredibly useful.  In one of my cases, I have a general task list that I would like to sort by Done, Assigned, Status  This allows me to keep the tasks that are open at the top and in order of assigned/status.  As users make updates to the list, I have to re-sort throughout the day.  It would be great to have an auto re-sort or a button that would allow me to re-sort.

Thank You!

• Joel
    Joel
    edited 05/18/17
    Options

This would be great if i can save my default sort, every morning when i open my sheet i need to sort it again

Also would be great to have the sort option even there is a filter applied

And the sort should refresh when saving new data, (option to enable or disable this feature)

Thanks!

• marzette.1
    Options

Hello, 

The ability to set sort criteria and have it maintained (both in terms of what you selected and update automatically when new data is added) is fairly fundamental to me in this type of sheet. 

I have a task list I sort by due date, priority, and completion status. To have to manually resort every time new information is added is painful.

It shouldn't be a complicated add to just have it remember the last sort setting for your sheet and update either when new information is added or at the next save. 

Russell.

• hanseric
    hanseric ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Would very much like to have the ability to save Sort orders. 

An example use case we have a sheet which lists all projects which covers multiple systems/areas.

We sort by three columns: System, then Priority, then Importance.

Having the ability to save, clone and share these (like Filters) would be immensely helpful!

• Ross Barratt
    Options

Numerous threads on this and yet still not a thing.  Why?

• Loann McGee
    Loann McGee ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good morning,

Having the sort saved at the sheet level would be most helpful. We have many reports, but the same three people use the sheet for various tasks. Yet we need it to default to a sort that has 3 criteria. I'm constantly having to go in and update the sort criteria as it doesn't automatically save the criteria in the sort window.

It would be wonderful to have this enhancement go into effect, along with the return to the tabs view of our sheets/reports.

Blessings,

Loann

PS - We're Smartsheet users for over 10 years and would love to see the same kind of response as was in place in the early years. ;)

• Kathi F
    Options

I am in agreement that the ability to save a sort would be very helpful, or better yet, a default sort. I have a long task list I have to resort each time I add a new task. I sort it by due date and priority. 

Thank you!

• pcheng
    Options

It's been almost 3.5 years since the first post.  Does that translate to "this feature is never going to exist in Smartsheet"?

• Bill Byrne
    Options

We are now at 3-3/4 years on this post.  I too would like to save sorts.  Early on in the thread SS employees were pushing for using reports, however I need to work on the data after sorting & would also like to leave the spreadsheet sorted for our next session and I'm guessing using reports doesn't solve that.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi everyone,

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment to have your vote added

A New Way to Submit Your Feature Requests

To make your Enhancement / Feature Request count, send in the form above because there isn’t a guarantee, it will be registered otherwise.

Original Post: https://community.smartsheet.com/announcement/new-way-submit-your-feature-requests

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

This discussion has been closed.