Adding a new Column to multiple workbooks

cwighton
cwighton ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I have used the same template to create a tracking system throughout our company and now have 25 sheets.   I have been asked to add a column to the template and all existing workbooks.  Does this need to be done manually one at a time?  

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, unfortunately, it does.

• DanS
    DanS ✭✭✭✭

a way to automate adding columns across multiple sheets is through the API, if you are comfortable writing code - http://smartsheet-platform.github.io/api-docs/?python#add-columns

• Chris McKay
    Chris McKay ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Weighing up the practical considerations, if the extra column does not have formulas (i.e. they are just manually entered values), is not being referenced via cell links (that you have to set up for each sheet) and we're only talking about 25 sheets, then you're probably better off just creating the columns manually and moving on.

• Mike L.
    Mike L. ✭✭✭

An easier way to add a single or multiple columns is to create a new sheet with the new column(s). Then you can copy the blank row to the desired sheets.  If the target sheet does not already contain the new column(s) they will be added.

Advantages: the column data type is maintained. Saves lots of time if you are adding multiple columns.  Doesn't affect the data since you are adding a blank row. 

Disadvantages: formulas can't be copied into a sheet. There could be a better way but I haven't found it yet. 

Hope this helps!

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Mike,

Great, advise! I also do that, and I also put a unique character before the formula so it's just text and after I copy the row to another sheet I search and replace that character and that will activate the formulas in the new sheet.

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.