Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

I would like to use Smarsheet to track task times

Lavante mdg
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I have three cells (1) Start1 (08:00) | (2) Finish1 (08:45) and (3) Total Time

How do I calculate the total amount of time from start to finish in the Total Time cell?

I tried this (=Start1 + FInish1) but this concatenates the two values and doesn't add them up.

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm interested in tracking the time taken to perform a given task.

Comments

• Hi Lavante mdg - Check out this discussion regarding tracking time in Smartsheet. Also, if you search time in the Community, you'll find quite a few posts related to how people track time. 

Thanks,

Sonia

• Hi SoniaR.  Thanks for the response and link, that was very helpful.  

• Hi Levante,

This exact problem can be solved using Azuqua, an integration partner of Smartsheet. I work for Azuqua and the logging timestamp in a column based on a checkbox being marked (checked) is one of the many scenarios that we enable inside of Smartsheet.

Using Azuqua you can set up a monitor for a change to column and in your particular case check to make sure the checkbox has been marked and then confirming the checkbox has been marked a timestamp / date will be entered into the column you specify.

For your use case you would set up a checkbox for both start and finish. When you mark those checkboxes Azuqua will log a timestamp for each of those actions into the columns you specify and then using a formula you get the duration.

If you want to learn more please visit our app listing at Smartsheet here:

https://www.smartsheet.com/apps/azuqua

Please feel free to follow up with any questions.

-Patrick

This discussion has been closed.