Dynamically Updating Dashboard Using Forms

oberning
oberning
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I currently have a form sending data to a sheet, and then data from that first row displaying on a dashboard that I can print out for a visual representation of project data. Is there anyway that I can choose which row of data I want to show on the dashboard (aka choose which project I would like to visually see)? Thank you!

Comments

• Chris McKay
    Chris McKay ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I suggest using a Report to do what you're looking to do.

Simply add a new column in your data sheet (perhaps a checkbox) and name it something like Display.

Have the Report pull rows out of your data sheet only when this checkbox is ticked.

Then embed the Report in a Report Widget on your Dashboard.

Kind regards,

Chris McKay

• Hey Chris!

This would work, however I would like to try and maintain the visual look of the dashboard that I currently have laid out. I could, potentially, create individual Reports for each field and then try and lay it out best as I can, but that would be tedious as well.

If they had a simple drop down box (with all of your primary column names), and then had widgets auto-update according to the drop down value, that would be amazing!

Thank you,

Oliver Berning

• jsimek
    jsimek ✭✭

Any solutions to the last reply!? I am looking to do the exact same thing vs. making 150 dashboards. A dynamic dropdown list where the metric widget would update text?

• MR
    MR ✭✭
    edited 10/23/18

A feature addressing this need would be quite valuable for me. I have a project portfolio sheet, one project per row, many columns serving as fields collecting different high-level data about a given project. A dashboard functionality, where I can visually lay out the different fields. Then having slider buttons where I can cycle through different rows, that is through different projects, would generate quick one page overview for every project. Currently this is not possible in the dashboard. Any plan to introduce this functionality would be helpful to know.

• A solution like this is what I have been searching for. It would really add lot of value if the dashboard gets updated for each and every row being added to the the smartsheet

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Sal,

Not sure I follow!

Can you describe your process in more detail?

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Ezra
    Ezra ✭✭✭

Yes, I agree. Some form of a dashboard report project-filter drop-down to give the viewer of the dashboard (for example) all projects in the past six weeks in the Dinosaur account... or filter it to the past three months in the Jean Jacket account.

The one setting up the dashboard would have to have a default filter in place, and the report would have to have some way of receiving the filter options... but nothing's impossible.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Ezra,

That would be an excellent addition to Smartsheet features.

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• ATRIP
    ATRIP ✭✭

Hello Andree,

We as an user of your product and trying to promote it by suggesting the necessary enhancements for the proper adoption and usages. These inputs should be taken up by Smartsheet organization on priority basis and do the needful. Not to ask the users to give you the requirements in plate and do the legwork to collect and describe the requirements in your prescribed "Enhancement Form".

Smartsheet needs lots of improvement immediately to create it place as a reliable and efficient product in Project Management. Otherwise, other competitors are listening and may offer right and efficient product to the users.