date formula referencing specific date cell

Hi, 

I am working in a date column that has the Effective Date: 05/13/2019.

I want the Project Kick-off Date to reference the Effective Date - What formula do I enter so that:

(i) the Year is always the year listed in the effective date cell,

(ii) month is always January, and

(iii) Day is always 01?

I have tried this formula  =DATE(YEAR([Date Value]7), MONTH(1), DAY(1)) but it returns 'invalid data type'. 

Any ideas?

Thanks! 

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you working off of a particular template? Do you have dependencies enabled?  If so you can't use formulas to set start and finish dates. You would just use a dependency. Are you trying to set the start date of the new task to the end date of the previous one?

Check out the following article that might be of some help: 

If that doesn't make sense or meet your needs you can simply put =[Name of Date Cell]23 if you were trying to reference row 23. The date column will know the date you are referencing is a date already. But the column you are putting that formula into should also be a date column. 

• I don't have dependency enabled in the sheet... no start and end dates. Just one date column. 

I want the project kick off date to always default to Jan 1st of the year in which the effective date happens. In other words, if the effective date is 5/3/2018, then the project kick-off date will be 1/1/2018. If the effective date is 5/19/2019, then project kick-off date would be 1/1/2019.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 06/13/18

I was able to make it work, in a date column. 

=DATE(YEAR([Date Column]6), 1, 1)

See my screenshot. 

You just had to leave out the Month() and Day() cause those are already expected in the Date formula. 

2018-06-13_17-06-24.jpg

• It worked... Thank you! The solution was more obvious than I had imagined :-)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!