Update end date when complete is checked

Dan Engerer
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi. I would like for my tasks' completion dates to be automatically updated to the day that the task is completed (i.e. when the user ticks the check box, etc.).

I already understand the whole idea of task dependencies, that's not the issue. 

My ultimate goal is to automatically update future dependent task due dates based on completion dates of predecessor tasks WITHOUT requiring the user to manually type in a new date when they complete a task late or early. So, task A is finished late, (or early), I want all the remaining tasks to automatically shift once the tick box is checked. 

I don't want my users to have to remember to manually update a due date if they finish a task late or early. The more complicated a solution is, the less likely it is that anybody will actually use it. 

Thanks!

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This functionality is not currently available in Smartsheets. There are ways to base a date off of the last modified system column, but if you use that - any modifications to a row after the check box was clicked would also update that date. Your best bet would be to use a date to mark to the project as complete instead of clicking a check box that would give you more accuracy. But would require the user to enter a date instead of clicking a box to say the job's been done. 

Many users have requested the option to have a timestamp function or something that would timestamp when an action was performed. Please add your vote to the list by submitting a product enhancement request