Left Horizontal Scroll with Mouse

Carly Sorensen
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Any time I try to scroll left on a sheet, it takes me back to the previous page.

So, if I am in a sheet and cannot see the left most columns, I have to select a random cell and hit the left arrow key until I can see the left columns.

Right scroll works fine.

I tried 'shift', it did not work.

Any solutions or anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks.

Tags:

Comments

• Hi Carly,

It sounds like there's a scrolling/multitouch stroke on your computer that triggers the "back" command in your browser. 

I've seen this behavior occur more commonly on Mac computers. 

If you're using a Mac, I'd recommend disabling the multitouch gesture completely: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7589666

This also may be a Chrome specific setting. If you're using Chrome, try the steps here to disable "2-finger back" on the browser: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/chrome/PaMriZC-Kuo/-RBZ18ILkHYJ

• I experience the same problem. I am surprised you haven't received a ton of complaints on this. On a Mac, if your sheet is wider than the screen and you swipe right on the Magic Mouse or Trackpad, the sheet will scroll right as expected, and the leftmost columns will become visible. However, if you swipe too much, Safari interprets the gesture as "back", and the entire page is replace with the previous page. The only workaround I found is to disable the one-finger swipe gesture. This is very inconvenient since it is the most common way for me (and many others I presume) to go back in the browser.

Is there any way for Smartsheet to control this scrolling behavior and differentiate it from a "back" gesture?

• mel.greenspan
    mel.greenspan ✭✭✭✭

I agree with @swehba. This is becoming super frustrating when using Smartsheets. It only happens on Safari and in Smartsheets core app. It doesn't occur with any other web-based application or website. I have my Safari set to three-finger swipe gesture for "page back". Why does Smartsheet interpret two-finger swipe gesture in Safari for "page back"?

• I turn off all gestures on my mouse that aren't basic scrolling, which is the two finger swipe, and agree this is hugely annoying. It seems to be a misinterpretation of a simple scroll, really. I can scroll only until I hit the left side of the sheet, then it gets interpreted as a page back. To use the closest to an equivalent example, Google Sheets exhibits no such behavior.

• Shane Cyr
    Shane Cyr ✭✭
    edited 06/22/22

Hot tip for people having this problem: scroll slightly up or slightly down first, and then horizontally. It seems like this helps register the scrolling intent, and you don't get the browser back behavior. (Note this is not at all intuitive as a workaround, and the base issue should still be addressed.)

• lehcars
    lehcars ✭✭

Thanks for the tip @Shane Cyr, but alas this is still such a frustrating issue. I rely heavily on using my trackpad gestures for accessibility. When going through form responses across several sheet columns, I'm constantly getting taken out of the sheet and to my previous webpage. Hope this becomes addressed please.

• Google is able to disable the two finger back swipe when scrolling in Google Sheets in Safari...I would think SmartSheet would be able to do the same thing. This is the most annoying issue with the product.