IF function combined with Vlookup in 2 different smartsheets

Silvia C Rodriguez
Silvia C Rodriguez ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hello!

I have another beginner question. Is it possible to combine an If conditional with a Vlookup?

This is my scenario:

I have 2 sheets: 

Summary and Form.

Columns in each sheet are:

Summary Sheet:

-Column Name

-Column Question #1

Form Sheet:

-Column Name

-Column Quarter

-Column Question 1

The result that I need:

I would like to bring the value in Column Question 1 (from the Form Sheet) to the summary sheet, but only if the quarter answer is x.

Is this possible?

I hope I explained myself. ;)

Thank you!

Tags:

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Screenshots may help us better find an answer for you.

• Hi Paul,

I attached a print screen.

Thank you for your help. =)

Vlookup formula combined with IF.JPG

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I just want to make sure I'm clear on what exactly you're looking for...

You want the information from the bottom screenshot to determine which section of the top screenshot it goes in?

In answer to the first part of your question: There are no functions that I am aware of that will place a row under a specific parent row within a sheet. There are a few different options for workarounds though. One would be sorting within the sheet. Another option is having a summary sheet with all quarters combined (no particular sort order), and having a report for each quarter that looks at your sheet.

In answer to the second part: It is possible to use VLOOKUP within and IF statement as well as an IF statement within a VLOOKUP.

Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for. I'm having a little trouble figuring out exactly how your original post and your screenshots fit together.

If all you are trying to accomplish is to populate a specific cell based on specific criteria you would not necessarily need a VLOOKUP function. It would be something along the lines of:

=IF({Form Sheet Range 1} = "2 Quarter", {Form Sheet Range 2})

{Form Sheet Range 1} would be the cell you want to use to determine the criteria.

{Form Sheet Range 2} would be the cell you want to pull the data from.

There are a few issues with this particular setup.

1. You would have to create new range references for each cell.

2. You can only have 100 unique range references on a sheet. Since you have 2 for each row, you would cap it out in just 50 rows.

• You gave me the answer. Yes!

Thank you so much.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!