Sum of Cells in different Rows

McneilOMC
McneilOMC ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi

Is it possible to sum the counts of specific cells on different rows in the same sheet.All the cells are in the same column.

Thanks

Mcneil

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Check out the =sum formula which will let you sum any numbers in any row or field. Just indicate it in your formula. 

=sum([column title]row#, [column title]row#, [column title]row#)  Will sum individual cells. 

=sum([column title]1:[column title]5) will sum rows 1-5 of a column. 

=sum([column title]:[column title]) will sum a column but you can't put this formula in the same column because it will create a circular reference and will throw an error.

https://help.smartsheet.com/function/sum

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You can also use SUMIF( or SUMIFS( if you are able to establish specific criteria for which cells to add.

• I'm trying to do the same thing with the SUMIF formula, but do not want to specify the exact criteria name "Kate Pearson" because the names are fed in through a form. Instead, I need to reference a cell within the row to then calculate the sum of all rows with the same criteria.

Example - I want to sum all donation values in the [$Value] from an employee where their name is listed in the [EEName] column of the same row. I've been able to make this work when referencing other sheets, but I'm having trouble referencing @row and within same page columns.

Here's the formula I think should work: =SUMIF(EEName:EEName, EEName@row, $Value:$Value, 1)

What am i doing wrong?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Try something like this.

I think that it's he absolute reference that doesn't work together with the 1 in the end.

What's the number 1 for in the end?

Let me know if I misunderstood what you need the formula to do!

=SUMIF(EEName:EEName; EEName@row; Value:Value)

The same version but with the below changes for your and others convenience.

=SUMIF(EEName:EEName, EEName@row, Value:Value)

Depending on your country you’ll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Did it work?

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic day!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

work-bold

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.