RYG Balls Automation by date, display nothing when date column is empty

BM
BM
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello!

I have set up the automated RYG balls based on this tutorial: https://www.smartsheet.com/blog/support-tip-automate-RYG-balls?_ga=2.231470687.1137853115.1530638305-632979920.1530208332 

• Green for more than 3 days away
  • Yellow for 3 days or less away
  • Red for overdue

Right now if there is no date in the Due Date cell, the program shows a "Yellow" ball. I'd like to change this so that it displays nothing at all if there is no date in the Due Date cell. 

Here is the current code: 

=IF(Done14 <> 1, IF(TODAY() - [Due Date]14 > 0, "Red", IF(TODAY() - [Due Date]14 > -3, "Yellow", "Green"))) 

Many thanks!

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/03/18

=IF(ISBLANK([Due Date]14, "", IF(Done14 <> 1, IF(TODAY() - [Due Date]14 > 0, "Red", IF(TODAY() - [Due Date]14 > -3, "Yellow", "Green"))))

There you be. The "" will denote a blank. You can also use " " to get the same effect. All you needed was an additional IF statement to tell it what to do if the [Due Date] "ISBLANK".

Out of curiosity... What is the purpose of the BOLD portion in your current formula? Is your current formula working the way you need it to?

• BM
    BM

Thank you for the reply! I tried the bit that you suggested and I am getting an "Incorrect Argument" Error. 

The code that I pasted above works for the red, and green conditions - but if there is nothing in the Due Date cell it shows yellow. 

Please let me know if I can provide you with any added info. Thank you again. 

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think it has to do with the bold portion I was asking about. It doesn't fit in with the correct formatting. Maybe try taking that part out. Another suggestion is using @row in place of the row number.

Try this...

=IF(ISBLANK([Due Date]@row), "", IF([Due Date]@row > Today(3), "Green", IF(AND([Due Date]@row > Today(), [Due Date]@row < Today(3)), "Yellow", IF([Due Date]@row <= Today()< "Red"))))

What this says is:

If the due date is blank then blank. If the due date is more than 3 days away then green. If the due date is less than 3 days away but is not today then yellow. Finally, if the due date is today or in the past the red.

• BM
    BM

Thank you again. I've noticed that when I input formulas with Today, they automatically default to TODAY. 

Your suggested code works perfectly for:

- no date condition

- yellow condition

- green condition

But when I put a date that has happened in the past in the Due Date column to simulate an overdue task, I get the incorrect argument error again. Any thoughts?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/06/18

Defaulting to all caps is standard. No worries there. And the past due issue was totally MY fault. See below:

=IF(ISBLANK([Due Date]@row), "", IF([Due Date]@row > Today(3), "Green", IF(AND([Due Date]@row > Today(), [Due Date]@row < Today(3)), "Yellow", IF([Due Date]@row <= Today(), "Red"))))

My fat fingers were holding down the shift key when I went to put the comma in between Today() and "Red". I do apologize for that. The above formula should work.

Lesson learned... Don't just type away for an answer. At least copy/paste the formula to an actual sheet to make sure it works before posting.