Weighted Average

Nicole Hodges
Nicole Hodges ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello!

I have about 10 columns of tasks that each have a certain weight of average.

I want to create a dashboard to show the status of the project, however, I am not sure on the formula I should be using to calculate the project status when each column is weighted.

Any suggestions? 

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You could use an AVGW formula which is Average Weighted. If you are unable to get the results you want, you may have to weight them manually with an AVG formula.

=AVG(Number1 * Weight, Number2 * Weight, Number3 * Weight, etc...)

See screenshot below for reference to the AVGW function.

A very helpful reference when building formulas is pictured below. Simply go into the Templates selections and look for what you see in the second screenshot. In that sheet is also a link to the main Smartsheet formula help page.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

• Nicole Hodges
    Nicole Hodges ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, Paul!

I think what I am trying to do a little more complicated. I have the following columns: 

- "Checked for BUs & Product ID Balances" - check mark column weighted at 25%

- "Query - Integrations" - checkmark column weighted at 25%

-"Sent to EU to decide if needed, removed, or added" - drop down weighted at 25%

- "EU Approved" - check mark column weighted at 5%

- "Rerun Query for Balances" - drop down weighted at 5%

There are a few more columns as well but what I am trying to do is create an Overall % Complete to roll up to a dashboard.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ah. Ok. So you will need an IF statement to start everything saying if such and such is selected then average these numbers weighted... Then another IF statement to cover another possibility, etc. etc...