Sum duration for multiple nested child/children rows.

joecih
joecih
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Why can I not get correct totals on Duration days if the parent has multiple nested children within children?

parent -> child -> childOfChild

I expect that the sums on durations would total in such order, leaving the parent with the complete duration total from all children, and related sub-children

Screen Shot 2018-07-25 at 10.15.29 AM.png

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/25/18

Hi Joe,

The Start Date for a Parent will be automatically set to the earliest Start Date from all of its Child Rows. Similarly the End Date will be set to the last End Date from all its Child Rows.

The Duration on the Parent reflects the number of working days between the Start Date and End Date in that row. It provides the full time span encompassed by that section of tasks, from the earliest sub-task to the latest, as opposed to a sum of their durations.

Please see attached link/screenshot.

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/765753-parent-rollup-functionality

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant @ Get Done

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thanks, Andree, so really I just have to use predecessors on the children to get the dates to stack out correctly?

Would be nice to have a feature in SmartSheet to override, without having to do manual formulas yet still use Dependency option ;-) but I think I understand why. Seems like there would be some re-order option to look at Duration inputs and adjust the dates accordingly by predecessor or create the predecessor by some auto order option. I'm just brainstorming I think I see the workaround in defining the start/stop dates accordingly on first entry.

Thank you.