Manual Copy and Paste of rows fails to paste formulas and hierarchy

Options
Mike Wilday
Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

About 3 weeks ago I began being unable to copy and paste multiple rows between sheets in smartsheet. I have about 12 rows with several columns that match columns in a separate sheet. I am trying to copy rows from one sheet manually using CMD+C and CMD+V (I am on a mac) and paste them into the new sheet. 

I am able to select multiple rows using the row indicators and holding down shift. But when I navigate to a new sheet I am unable to paste those rows.  If I click on a row indicator to paste the rows into a specific location CMD+V does nothing. If I right click on the row indicator Paste is not an option. If I click on a cell in the row I am able to paste the data but all of the formatting and hierarchy and formulas are removed from the pasted data. 

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Please help I need to reorganize all of our sheets. 

Answers

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am also having this issue and have spent about a dozen hours working on rebuilding sheets because of it. 

I ran out of other sheet references on my analysis sheet and had to recreate it across 4 different sheets. given that each is 500 rows and contain some rather complicated formulas I spent a lot of my time building it, and this would have been much easier had I been able to copy and paste the rows.

If I use the option "Copy to" another sheet, it doesn't take the formulas, which is basically useless to me. I've already finished building them, but it was a painful waste of my time.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The copy/paste behavior is being totally erratic. Sometimes copying and pasting more than 5-6 rows behaves like the copy-to another sheet option and strips all the formulas, and sometimes it doesn't. There isn't a clear solution. 

• amandakc
    Options

It's 2024 and there are several posts about this issue, which i experience on occasion and it is very frustrating when it does occur.
    I have MANY formula heavy sheets that were created in Smartsheet, so using excel to copy/paste will NOT work b/c i need the formulas to work.
    Sometimes I have no issues copy/pasting 100s of rows at a time within the same sheet and am doing this for weeks without issue. Then suddenly I can't even copy/paste a single cell. When this happens, i try all sorts of approaches (CTRL+C vs right-click copy, etc) and the results vary. It might paste my formula properly for a moment, and then paste the value instead for the next one, or not paste anything at or, or the change is invisible but suddenly appears after saving. It's incredibly frustrating when working under deadlines for such a simple function.

I've rebooted the PCs, restarted browsers, cleared clipboard and browser cache and even tried on another computer not routing through work VPN and still have the problem. Is it possible the smartsheet server itself gets cached or overloaded, causing this period issue that might shutdown my productivity for the week every once in awhile? We cannot afford that and are paying Enterprise prices.
    Please look into this.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!