Report into Word Doc, remove gridlines

Derek Hermsen
Derek Hermsen ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi,

I created a document automation sheet that produces an end document via a report that I built.  I can export the Report into a pdf, but I need to have it as a Word file that can be reviewed and red-lined with comments.  I can open the pdf in Adobe and then convert it to a Word doc, but that is an extra step that kills my whole point of document automation.  Is Smartsheet working on a way to export a Report into a Word doc?

On a side note, why the heck can I not remove the cell borders from the sheet in my report??? That is one more thing that I can achieve once the doc is converted into Word, but again is another step that I don't want to take.  Is Smartsheet working to have the option to remove gridlines on a Report?

Thank you! I love Smartsheet.

DH

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Derek,

Have you tried the integration with Google Doc? Depending on your specific set up that could work and either you could review and comment there or convert it to Word. Another option could be to automate the process with the help of Zapier.

Would any of the above work better for you?

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå - Workflow Consultant @ Get Done

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Thank you for the suggestions. I'm trying to avoid using an outside source like Zapier.  My industry standard for document review and mark-up is Word, so the Google Doc layer would be comparable with what I'm having to do in Acrobat. Ultimately, I think that Smartsheet itself needs to just enable users to export into Word.  Since Excel is an option, I'm not sure why Word would be difficult to do. Adobe figured it out...

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure I follow your logic.

Have you ever tried to open an Excel workbook in Word? 

Smartsheet and Excel are at least cousins in the software world - spreadsheet-like objects. Word is not a spreadsheet, though it does understand tables.

You might be better off exporting to Excel rather than PDF. There are tools to link Excel worksheets to Word documents.

I wouldn't bet on Smartsheet developing a Report > Word integration.

If you ever decide you do want to have a third party tool involved in your workflow, consider WebMerge (https://www.webmerge.me/#)

Craig

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 08/02/18

Happy to help!

I agree with Craig that it probably makes more sense for Smartsheet to export to Excel than Word but submit an enhancement request anyway. If you want to explore third-party solutions, WebMerge is a great option.

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.