Combining Spreadsheets: linking vs reports

Options
Maria S
Maria S
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I have a multiple spreadsheets that I would like to update to a master spreadsheet.

Each "child" spreadsheet have the same named column(s) but only certain cells from the column need to roll up to the parent spreadsheet (these are identified by a check mark).  

The report function works extremely well for this; however I need to be add to columns to the parent spreadsheet that allow text for comments.  I haven't a found a way to add columns not linked to child spreadsheets in reports. 

Due to this, should I be linking my spreadsheets? How do I set the linking up so only certain cells populate?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not clear on your exact setup, but I'll give it go.

Reports can contain any columns that exist in one or more of the Sheets being referenced. You could, for example, add a column called [Master Sheet Notes] and have it show up on the Report using the same checkbox that you have on the other sheets.

Be aware that Reports are just views of the rows it finds that match the criteria. It isn't actually linking the data between the Sheets being displayed. For example, you can't SUM a column of numbers shown in the Report.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't, screen shots will help to clarify what you are asking.

Craig