Using a datafile to 'autofil' cells

Options
cpage
cpage
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Was wondering if there was a way to upload a external data file (csv) and get it populate cells.

IE - Could I load a list of 'Stakeholders' (make it a dropdown list) - and based on that selection from that dropdown list, it automatically fills in another cell, with lets say that 'Stakeholders Manager'

So basically 1 cell is automatically populated based on the 'Selection' of a dropdown value from another cell.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

A few issues you will run into:

There is no way to have a formula update a Contact List, which I assume [Stakeholders Manager] column to be.

There is no way to have a CSV file imported into a pre-existing Sheet using the GUI.

I have developed solutions that import into Smartsheet, manual copy, and linking using X-Sheet References, but they can be difficult to setup or maintain and I do not use them lightly.

I think everything you describe can be done using the API. I have a solution that I run one or more times a day to get a CSV file into the system. If I could automate the CSV file generation, it would be completely seamless. 

Craig