Data for dashboards

Options
dave.mcpherson56751
dave.mcpherson56751 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi i am looking for some help with some dashboard data.

I would like to display data from a sheet that shows all data captured (YTD) and also current month data. This will be displayed in two metric widgets enabling both the customer and me to make easy comparisons.

The problem i am having is regards to the current month and how to just capture between two date ranges as opposed to the whole sheet

The data is being collected via a form so is auto populated onto a sheet. i have figured how to adjust this manually on a daily basis by extending the data range but wondered if this range could be auto adjusted?.

can i add something to the formula that will still capture new entries but run between certain dates?

Current formula 

=COUNTIFS({Pure Gym Issue Type}, "Daytime/ short night shift missed")

I hope that makes sense and would love to see if there is a solution.

Thank you

Dave

Tags:

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you are using X-Sheet References, you should not need to worry about extending the range, select the entire column instead of part of it.

To hone in on the date, you need to add the criterion to your COUNTIFS()

Something like this:

=COUNTIFS(...yourformulaasis...,{date range}, IFERROR(MONTH(@cell),0)=MONTH(TODAY()))

will count only the ones for the current month (when viewed) - so viewing today would be only for October.

Craig

• dave.mcpherson56751
    dave.mcpherson56751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Craig,

as always you are a star for coming back to me, as you may have gathered i am new and not very good at formulas. i am unsure about the date range and put in the below but get an error? could you please advise when you have a moment?

=COUNTIFS(({Pure Gym Issue Type}, "Daytime/ short night shift missed"){Pure Gym Issue Type},{01/10/18,31/10/18}, IFERROR(MONTH(@cell),0)=MONTH(TODAY()))

Sorry to be a pain

Dave

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Without seeing your column structure, I'm just shotgunning here, but this

=COUNTIFS(({Pure Gym Issue Type}, "Daytime/ short night shift missed"){Pure Gym Issue Type},{01/10/18,31/10/18}, IFERROR(MONTH(@cell),0)=MONTH(TODAY()))

is messed up.

=COUNTIFS( range1, criterion1, range2, criterion2, etc...)

Rule #2: All ranges must be same size.

This

{Pure Gym Issue Type}

is a range. Since it is a X-Sheet Ref range, it could be one cell, one selection of continuous cells (1x10, 10,x1, 5x2, etc...), one column, or multiple columns.

This

"Daytime/ short night shift missed"

is what is being checked. One thing that says "looking for X" in each of the cells in the range.

This

...missed"){Pure

is a mistake. It should be a comma as Smartsheet does not know what to do with

{....}){...}

but even changing that won't help because this

{01/10/18,31/10/18}

is a range. I also assume it is incorrectly assumed to be a X-Sheet Reference (it could be, the reference range can be anything and has NO IMPACT on content)

The second criteria's range, which you listed as 

{Pure Gym Issue Type},{01/10/18,31/10/18}

is intended in my example to a be a range EXACTLY THE SAME SIZE as {Pure Gym Issue Type}. Preferably from the same source (the X-Sheet Reference source sheet) because of Rule #2

Is there a column in the Sheet that {Pure Gym Issue Type} is coming from that is a Date type column? Then you need to bring that over as a NEW X-Sheet Reference.

Maybe you aren't using X-Sheet References at all and just copied the original formula from somewhere?

Either way, SOMEWHERE on the sheet there need to be a range of dates and that what you need to be using.

Lastly, if you ever DO need to use a user generated date (and I don't think you do in this case!) then

DATE(YY, MM, DD)

all arguments are numbers, not text.

=DATE(2018,10,2)

is today.

Craig

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!