WBS

Madeline Hunter
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Can anyone explain how to add the WBS ID To the sheet.  I read some thing about adding Auto-Number Rows. but it is still quite confusing

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What is the WBS ID?

Auto-number rows can be added using the Auto-Number/System type column.

To have flexible row numbers that can hold up to additions, deletions, and sorting, there are a few other options.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ooooooohhh. I know what that is. Haha. Duh. We don't use those much (if at all) where I work, so I was drawing a blank. Thanks, Andree.

@Madeline

Disregard my previous post.

I am sure it can be done with some formulas and whatnot, but I haven't tested anything yet, and I imagine it will probably get a little convoluted. Maybe a combination of IF's, COUNT's, ANCESTORS's, and JOIN's.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Creating a true WBS outline in Smartsheet is tough. There was talk a (long) while ago about Smartsheet delivering something that might suffice, but I don't know if it was delayed, abandoned, or became part of some premium app.

In my view, auto-numbering won't suffice as the numbers need to adjust based on where it is in the WBS, not by when it was entered.

I haven't had a customer talking about one in over a year, longer for one wanting one. 

It would be an interesting problem to solve if I was getting paid to do it.

Craig

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've been dabbling with it as a way to get my head out of other projects. I've been using ancestors as a way of establishing the level of hierarchy and a countifs to establish how many times that level has already appeared. Throw in a JOIN to pull it all together and that should work. It's just the countifs part that is giving me trouble once I get past the first two levels.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

So I got a solution figured out... You'd need a column for each level of hierarchy along with some formulas that get more and more convoluted as you add more and more layers.

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=127eaded62f140e7b32ab38ebdb35e4a

Here's the link to it as trying to explain on here would take more time than I have. IF anyone wants to take a look at how it's not worth the trouble (my solution at least, in my opinion), feel free. If anyone can tweak my ideas and make it easier, have fun. Otherwise... My work here is done. Hahaha yes

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That's what I would call the 'static' solution. It only works after the WBS is nearly complete and should thereafter be locked down (by copy/paste-value).

The issues are:

Sorting

Rearranging

That said, very close to my build-the-WBS solution. 

One small suggestion:

Change '= to != or something else that is not used in formulas. This allows Find&Replace to quickly change commented out formulas to in-use formulas.

And now, a partial rant about WBS's (my opinion)

There are instances where a WBS numbering is fixed

- that is task "Build Widget X" is and always will be 1.2.1

and sometimes it is dynamic until it isn't

- that is, the WBS is fluid based on the hierarchy structure as seen here and then at some point is fixed - -deleting 1.2.1 should not change 1.2.2 to 1.2.1

For more mature organizations that have a one or more WBS's defined for the tasks, there might be / should be documentation that references it. "1.2.1" would be the same task on Project A and Project B.

And everyone has their own opinion about what they are and are not. There is no one-size fits all on this feature.

Craig

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Change '= to != or something else that is not used in formulas. This allows Find&Replace to quickly change commented out formulas to in-use formulas.

Good idea. Done. Haha

I do see what you mean by a static solution.

As for waiting until it's done to build, I just took the first 6 rows, indented them to each level, and built from there. I stopped at 4 because it was becoming a pain and the pattern had been established.

I'm sure there are better ways of doing it, but my company doesn't use these, so it was just a time killer and to see if I could actually make something work. I'm sure I'll keep piddling with it as time goes on and I need a break from whatever project happens to be giving me a headache at the time though. Hahaha.

That said, very close to my build-the-WBS solution.

Always a good confidence booster when your solution is close to the masters... cheeky

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

re : That said, very close to my build-the-WBS solution.

It is difficult to say that without sounding arrogant. I probably should have just said "Good job" and left it at that.

Craig

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not at all. All I took from it was that your build was different from but very similar to mine. I just also happen to know you are a whiz at this kind of thing, so when my idea is close to your idea, I know I am on a pretty good track.