Slack Integration

NickF
NickF
edited 06/14/22 in Add Ons and Integrations

I am trying to send alerts from Smartsheet to Slack but it is only displaying the primary column and the column that changed. On this page https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2476711-smartsheet-slack-notification it says that you can display up to 4 columns in the notification. I can't seem to find where to specify which columns are displayed in the alert.

Also I can't seem to figure out the direct message part. I have set it up and allowed access through the app as per the link above, but can't figure out how to do any of the rest.

Hopefully both of these are simple things that I am missing.

Tags:

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Nick,

This might help! Can you share some screenshots of your settings?

• Up to four cells can be displayed, starting from the leftmost cell on the row

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I am using this functionality today but it very limiting and has a clunky feel to it in the Slack channel. It only displays partial information in the row which defeats the purpose of feeding into Slack which is so others can view and comment.

Is there anything on the roadmap to enhance that integration and maybe provide us with better control of what is fed into Slack?

• I found where it says that up to four cells can be displayed. but what I can't work out is how to do it.

I have attached a screenshot of the rule I used. When this runs the only columns I get are the Primary column and the "assigned to" column. I would like for at least two other columns to come through as those two by themselves do not give enough information.

Smartsheet Screenshot.PNG

• Torri B.
    Torri B.
    edited 10/10/18

I am having the same issues with Direct Messages. I have been searching for information on creating alerts and rules for over an hour, with no luck. I have enabled the app in Slack and allowed access. However, when I create a rule, it only gives me the option to send an alert to a channel. 

I've tried all of the basics - restarting the apps, logging out and in, etc. 

Any tips? 

slack notification.jpg

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'd recommend that you reach out to Smartsheet Support because it sounds to me that it could be a bug.

I hope this helps you!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Andree not sure if you were referring to my comment as well but that is not a bug it is how it functions.  What I want to know, is there anything on the roadmap to enhance the functionality with Slack because as it stands today it is not very useful, to the point I have removed it from a Closed Loop Feedback process I created. My goal was to make feedback submitted into Smartsheet visible to a large organization but what it is feeding does not do that.

• I was able to figure out how to connect Slack to Smartsheets - but I am still not understanding the functionality. Is there not any way to create conditions around when items are sent to Slack? 

i.e.: I have a sheet that has automatic alerts set-up. I want an alert to go to a user's slack via direct message if the "priority" is High or Critical. If the "priority" is Low or Moderate, I want the user to receive an email. 

As far as I can tell after using it for some time now, this is not currently possible? The only notification that I can set up is "notify owner" (which is what triggers the slack message) but adding filter criteria does not make a difference because the trigger for sending an email is also "notify owner"

Thanks! 

• jw_pm
    jw_pm ✭✭✭

I am having the same problem. I don't see any settings in the Smartsheet Automation when I create the alert to achieve this:

"Up to four cells can be displayed, starting from the leftmost cell on the row"

My alerts in the slack channel only show the Sheet Name, Primary Column, and then one random cell (Date Updated). Date Updated isn't even the left-most cell in the row. No other cells are shown.

It seems like there is something wrong with this functionality. 

• I have a similar issue. I have no ability to send a DM, only to send to a channel. Has the DM functionality been removed or does it need to be set up somewhere?

• aprz
    aprz
    edited 05/09/20

Found how to add four or more columns here https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/2479256-customize-the-content-of-your-alerts-and-requests

Note, I had to create a new Workflow to see the Advance Options, I could not see this in my existing workflow. I was able to select more than 4 fields from my Smartsheet, however only the leftmost 4 fields display in the slack message.

I confirmed that you have to set the fields in the action when creating the workflow, if you create the workflow and then try to edit the "Advance Option" is no longer available.

See below how my message came thru in Slack with all fields selected in the Advance Options

• How do you limit the Slack alert to a specific row (or rows)?

For example, I want to send a Slack alert for one of the tasks on the SmartSheet based on a date field being populated, but I don't want Slack alerts to be sent for every task that has that date field populated.

• Matt K
    Matt K ✭✭

@aprz Did you have first delete the existing workflow? I am not able to get more than 3 columns and they are certainly not the left most. The behavior of the Slack integration seems very inconsistent.

Has anyone else had any luck with customizing the fields that should be displayed in the Slack notification or getting the "Advanced Options" to show for Slack Actions?

• Matt K
    Matt K ✭✭
    edited 10/15/20

I found a workaround! The email notification allows {{Column 1}} and it will pull the value for that row for Column 1. Slack integration works the same way. You can customize the message and use the {{Column 1}} method. I am able to push the relevant fields in the Slack notification, but it is not in the format I'd like or that others would expect. Hopefully, the Smartsheet team is working on improving this for a near future release.