Chart not selecting data

henryling
henryling
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I am trying use a chart in a dashboard. When I try to add a chart, it prompts me to select a sheet and then a range of cells to pull data. However, once I click "OK" it will not allow me to select chart types or make any adjustments. It just doesn't show up at all as if I had not selected any information to pull from. The sheet/data I am using has text on the left and to the right is a countif formula pulling information from another sheet. It is a simple range of data much like the example video called "Smartsheet Charts" on YouTube. For example, Other | 5 | and I would like a bar chart of 5 units and Other as the label. Of course, there are more rows of information. Can anyone help me or explain to me why it is not selecting the data?

Thank you

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provide some screenshots? Based on the description of your steps it should be working. I'd almost have to see what you're doing at each step to see if maybe there is something you're missing or if it's a problem with Smartsheet.

• I opened up a new sheet and referenced the same exact information from the other sheet in the same format and this time it allowed me to make a chart off this table. I will mention this: on the first sheet I was trying to reference from the cells in that column are checkbox only; so I added +"" to display the count as a number in that cell. I imagine since the cells are restricted to check box only (even though the +"" will override it and display as a number) it wouldn't allow me to make a chart using that data. In any case, I used a new sheet and used the countif formula but didn't have to use +"" and it allowed me to make a chart.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ah. The problem wasn't that the column was set to checkbox only. The + "" turns it into a text string (which allows you to override the checkbox only part), so as far as Smartsheet was concerned, there were no numbers in the first sheet to pull a chart from.