Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Linking base price in master sheet to multiple rows in subordinate sheet

JGL
JGL
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

I'm trying to figure out a simple way to mass update a price list that contains many items with a similar base price tied to a commodity by linking that cell to a price in a master matrix. So, when I change the price in the master sheet, it will mass update dozens or hundreds of items in the linked sheet. Of course, you can do this one by one, but that is a pain.

Is there as way to link multiple rows in one sheet to a single cell in the reference sheet?

I've tried selecting multiple cells in the destination sheet, but it only links the first one in the column. Tried various methods, but nothing ooing so far.

I thought about a nested if to bring in the price from the origin by looking at the commodity code, but I don't know if it is possible to link to another sheet from within a formula.

Comments

• JohnHinkle
    JohnHinkle ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/04/15

If I understand you correctly, you want to cell link the same cell many times to a sheet, correct?

Rather than cell linking the same cell multiple (hundreds) of times, why don't you link it once (perhaps to a 'reference' section of the sheet) then use formulas in the destination sheet to reference that cell.

This will be much quicker to set up (only one cell link) and when you update the linked cell, all the cells that have a formula referencing the linked cell, will update. 

• John,

Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I ended up doing and it is fairly simple to update. I can filter by the commodity type and just copy down the reference cell to all items on the list. 

This discussion has been closed.