Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

SUM Parent without Children?

I've been able to figure out how to SUM children under parents, but is there a way to SUM just the parent rows?

For instance:

NAME  NUMBER 

Parent: 10,000

Child: 10

Parent: 10,000

SUM (Parent only): 20,000

I'd like to do this without selecting each cell if possible so it'll update whenever new Parent rows are added.

Tags:

Comments

• You can add another hierarchy level in the sheet and make the Parents as childer of that. Then do a =SUM(children()) at "Master Parent" row level to add all the Parents.

Master Parent

Parent1

Child 1

Child 2

Parent2

Child 1

Child 2

• Hmm...Could I use a SUMIF statement? Something like (I'm not sure I have this right):

=SUMIF([NAME](), "Parent", [NUMBER]())

LOL I have a feeling I murdered that syntax.

Edit: OK, I got it to work with this:

=SUMIF([NAME]1:[NAME]15, "Parent",[NUMBER]1:[NUMBER]15)

...but is there a way to do that without specifying the cell numbers, such as "everything in that column?"

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Chris, add a checkbox column to your sheet with a formula that checks the box if the row is a parent row (see formula below). Then create a SUMIF that sums only the rows with a checked box (parent rows). 

Anurag also had a great suggestion! 

Here's the formula:

=IF(COUNT(CHILDREN([Task Name]1)) > 0, 1)

Replace [Task Name]1 with the corresponding parent row cell reference. 

This discussion has been closed.