Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Losing Data

Barb Ward
Barb Ward
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

One of the users of our sheet is randomly losing data he has entered, even after saving it.  I went throught the steps given under the FAQ, and that has not helped.  Also, his auto-save is set-up through his personal settings, and yet it is not auto-saving.  Help!!

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 05/21/15

Barb - I would make sure he is actually saving his sheet. The auto-save feature will save after a set amount of time of inactivity or when you close the sheet (if you have them both enabled). If he is closing the browser before saving then the auto-save will not occur (only if he closes the sheet within the app). 

If he is saving then a couple things to check:

-What happens when he adds data, saves his sheet, closes the sheet, and returns to the sheet? Is the data still there?

-Does he have filters applied? Ask him to right click on a column header and select Remove All Filters

-Does he have hierarchies that are collapsed? Check row numbers, if any row number is skipped, then that indicates rows are hidden by filters or hierarchies. 

• Hi Travis-

I have checked all the filters and rows, etc., and nothing is hidden or filtered.  He manually saves and the sheet remains open for him to edited throughout the entire day (he's our dispatcher), so he's not closing it after saving each time.  Is that the trick?  The Ownership of the sheet was recently transferred to me from him.  Does that have anything to do with it?  Could his permissions as an Editor vs. Administratoring have anything to do with it?

~Barb

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Changing ownership and sharing permissions would not have anything to do with it but leaving the sheet open all day certainly could be related. If the sheet is open all day and he isn’t refreshing or saving changes then his version of the sheet could be multiple versions behind other users who have made changes and saved. Then when he saves, his version could conflict with a newer version of the sheet. Try asking him to close the sheet if he isn’t using it and see if that resolves the issue. If viewing the sheet all day is important with his role, then make sure he refreshes the sheet before making any changes (if the sheet has been sitting open for awhile) or he could have a published version of the sheet up all day, and when he needs to make changes, he can open the sheet through the app. 

Let me know if this doesn’t resolve the issue. 

This discussion has been closed.