Expected Progress

Options
PamelaH
PamelaH
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi, which formula can I use to calculate the expected Progress (depending on the current date)?

Thanks

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Could you give more details and share some screenshots?

• PamelaH
    Options

Hi Paul,

I have the Start Date, End Date, Duration (days) and the Progress given by each responsible. From this Information I would like to calculate the expected Progress, how shall the Project must be going on an specific date.

For example:

I have a Task with 10 days as Duration. by the second day the Progress completed is 20% (that means is running accordingly to plan) and by the third day, the Progress is the same. That means that by the third day the Project has already a delay.

So I would like to know which formula can I use to find out this expected or planned Progress and then I can be able to make a comparison against Progress completed and create alerts if neccesary.

Thanks.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you create a [Projected % Complete] column, you can enter this formula into it...

=(TODAY() - [Start Date]@row) / ([Scheduled End Date]@row- [Start Date]@row)

This will give you how far into the scheduled time you are for whatever today's date is. You can then build your alerts off of whether your actual % complete is less than, greater than, or equal to where you should be (projected % complete).

To show the projected finish date based off of the current progress and the start date, create a date type column [Projected End Date] and insert this formula...

=[Start Date]@row+ ((((TODAY() - [Start Date]@row) / ([Scheduled End Date]@row - [Start Date]@row)) - [Actual % Complete]@row) * ([Scheduled End Date]@row - [Start Date]@row)) + ([Scheduled End Date]@row - [Start Date]@row)

• PamelaH
    Options
  • Aubree Clark
    Options

I have a similar request: I would like to see how the projected end date of a task will impact the overall projected end date of the project taking the predecessor relationships into account. Any ideas on how to do that with a function or in a dashboard?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!