Dynamic Filter-based Update Requests

Options
WRSmith
WRSmith ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I set up filters for each task owner in my smartsheet, with specific criteria, (% Complete less than 100, start date is not in the future, etc.) to send update requests with only the tasks they need to report on at the time. Is there a way to create a dynamic automatic update request based on these filters? I currently have requests going out weekly based on what the filters returned at the time of creation, but the rows in the request do not change. The update request is tied to the row number, not the filter results. Is there a trick to accomplish dynamic, automatic, filter-based update requests?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet or some screenshots? It would make it easier to help.

I hope this helps you!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• WRSmith
    WRSmith ✭✭
    Options

Yes, I'll try to explain more fully. I set up a filter (first image below) in my sheet to return tasks for each individual that were not marked as complete and that should have already started or were starting within two weeks (date trigger column). I applied the filter to the sheet and set up a weekly recurring update request asking the task owner to update certain rows (second & third image). My problem is that these update requests are not dynamic and will repeat the request for only the rows returned by the filter upon initially setting up the request. So, even it the results the filter returns change (for example; if we change the task owner, if the task is completed, or the date progresses) the update request will continue to send requests on the rows the filter initially returned. The update request is set by row number, but I'd like it to be dynamic and change with the sheet. In other words, I want to send the update request based on filter results rather than a set row number. Thanks for taking the time to look at this problem!

Filter Settings.PNG

Update request.PNG

Recurring update.PNG

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Ok.

Unfortunately, it's not possible in the row update request function at the moment, but it's a great idea!

Please submit an Enhancement Request when you have a moment.

Have you tried setting it up thru the Alerts & Actions > Request an update?

I hope this helps you!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.