Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

limitation on visible characters per cell (110 characters)

Options

Hello Smartsheet Community,

There seems to be from my tests, a limitation on the number of visible characters per cell. I added about 200+ characters and only 110 are visibile. Even if I expand the cell and activate the "wrap text" function, same results.

Is this hardcoded?

thank you

Tags:

Comments

• Jim Hook
    Jim Hook ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have never run into this limitation. I use several hundred frequently and word wrap always displays them all. The Smartsheet help page on cell content says that a cell can hold up to 4000 characters. I do run into a limitation of how many characters can be in a sheet name now and then. Try reloading your Smartsheet browser tab--something sounds wrong.

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

As Jim said, you can have up to 4000 characters in a cell and they all can be present (see my test below).

Could you show us a screenshot of how you have text wrapped enabled and column width expanded and it only shows a section of your text?

Screen Shot 2015-12-02 at 3.17.54 PM.png

• Giuseppe Vacirca
    edited 12/04/15
    Options

thanks Travis and Jim for your responses.  I believe I found the glitch, I believe it is occurring when your text does not have any spaces. Wrap text does not activate.

See below:

Values in the cell (without any spaces)

OK.png

not_working.png

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Yes, you are correct! The wrap tool needs spaces in order to split up text to multiple lines. 

• Cathwhy
    Options

That explains why I can't wrap my website links.  Thanks.

• RTW2
    Options

So... is there a workaround (or FIX) for this issue?  

I've encountered the same (issue/shortcoming/bug/glitch/#FAIL) with cells containing long strings - word wrap does not work, and there appears to be a maximum limit to the width of columns.  Clicking into the cell is not a solution since in my case the string is generated by a formula (formula itself is displayed, but I need to be able to view the result of that formula).

This discussion has been closed.