Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Convert Project Sheet with Start/End Dates to Weekly Summary Showing Items Starting/Ending/In Progre

Options
KB
KB
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Hi - is there a way to convert a project sheet with items that have Start/End dates listed, into a week by week summary report that shows the status of each of those items in a particular week?  In any week, I'd like to see which items are Starting (based on Start Date), Ending (based on End Date), and In Progress (assuming their start/end dates are prior to/post the particular week).  I don't want to see just 1 week at a time, but the whole set of weeks based on all the items in my project sheet (so a single item could be listed in the summary report under multiple weeks).

Thank you!

Comments

• I am not sure I got your issue right.

It feels to me like the PRORATE formula could help (http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/775363#advanced)

Indeed, combined witha basic IF formula, it could check whether the task does actually start, finish or progress during any given week.

The following discussion might inspire you?

https://community.smartsheet.com/discussion/love-prorate

• KB
    KB
    Options

Unfortunately I'm not sure this one will work for me, as instead of building unique formulas with $ values (which is more of what yours seems to be), I want to convert a project plan that has a number of line items tracking over different periods of time (think complex Gantt chart), into a week by week summary of which items are starting, finishing, ending that week.  Have you seen anything like this?

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

KB, have you used the reporting tool before? Reports allow you to build custom views of your data based on criteria you specify. You could have a report that shows you all the tasks that start/end within a set timeframe and will stay up to date when your data changes. Here is information from our Help Center on creating reports: http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/522214-creating-reports

• KB
    KB
    edited 05/28/15
    Options

Yes I had checked this out.  The issue I found is that it limits the timeframe to a certain period and so doesn't allow you to see what's beyond or before it.  As I want to show all things happening in the week of 6/1, and all things happening week of 6/8, and each week thereafter (and all one one page, not a separate report for each), I found that the report only allows me to see all items together, not grouped by week.  It's possible I'm using it incorrectly, and if so, please do let me know.

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 05/29/15
    Options

You are correct, it will not group items together by week but you could just change the report criteria to whichever week you want to view or include multiple weeks and sort by date.

This discussion has been closed.