Best practices for adding instructions to a sheet?

Mark Lappegaard
Mark Lappegaard ✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello! What works well for adding "How To" instructions for a sheet? 

Rather than create a separate document for a User Manual, I'd like to embed the instructions right into the sheet. 

I see two main options:

1. Using the comment functionality in a row. 
  2. Adding a text column. 

In a perfect world, I'd create as much documentation, forms, etc, within SmartSheet.   Just wondering on what you have found that works best. 

Thanks! 

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Mark,

My recommendation would be to use a combination of what's needed to explain the How To instruction clearly.

A combination of the new column description feature and sheet comments work great, and they are easy to keep updated and to add attachments and links if needed.

Depending on the complexity of the solution I sometimes use row comments to explain something specific for that task or group of tasks. 

In some scenarios, I also include the instruction directly on the sheet. (removed after a while if ok)

It depends on the solution, the client and the need of both.

What do you think?

I hope this helps you!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Mark Lappegaard
    Mark Lappegaard ✭✭✭✭

I like that. Thanks, Andrée.   I didn't think of column descriptions! Lot of options.  Just have to try out the best usablity solution. 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/19/18

Great!

Happy to help!

Happy Holidays!

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• If the information you're filling the sheet out can be form fed, you can also create a webform to feed the data into the sheet. The discretionary copy in the form is infinite (mostly), and I have had great success in using guide text for each form topic which helps get better results to work from. 

CB

• James Keuning
    James Keuning ✭✭✭✭✭

I would LOVE to have a pop-up object that a user can dismiss, and which can be deployed by a user clicking a help icon on the page.

When I set up sheets I send out instructions to users. Usually a really important message is: "A start date is required," or, "Enter a Resolution Date to designate a task complete." Or, "If the row is red, that means that you are missing a required field."