Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Web form options

Options

I have created a new web form and I'm wondering if its possible to give my user the ability to select more than one response for the same question when using the radio buttons function? 

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Cathy,

I don't think so. I think it is fairly universal that radio buttons are designed to allow one selection from a set of options. You'll probably need to change to check boxes.

Craig

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    Options

Craig is correct - radio buttons only allow for one selection from a set of options. 

On a Form though, you could do the following:

1. Create separate checkbox columns for each answer 

2. When designing the Form, create a Heading/Description section divider (found under Add Field) with the Question text as either the Heading or Description. 

3. Add each of the answer columns as fields below the section divider. 

4. On each of the checkbox fields change the Display Type to have 'Caption to the right'. 

​Doing the above will simulate a multi-select option for a question. 

Here is an example of this:

https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form?EQBCT=917360fa10d94635a586e6ea89ae15fb

Another idea is to use Google Forms instead, as Google does support multi-select form questions. We have a Google add-on called Smartsheet Sync that saves submissions of your Google Form in a new sheet in Smartsheet so you can still collaborate and action on the items using our platform. To get started with this, check out instructions for building a Google Form here, and instructions for installing and using the Smartsheet Sync add-on for Google Forms here.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Both of those outstanding suggestions Travis!

Thanks.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.