Reports not sorting by assignee?

Options
2»

Comments

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Kagrawa, thanks for that workaround. 

Smartsheet Support - is there any updated on when this bug will be fixed??? 

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks!

Great tip!

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Same here. It's been 2 months since we first noticed this issue - would really hope there's a fix soon!!!

• JLC
    JLC ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Would love to know an ETA on this bad boy. Quite the issue when trying to show leaders what their employees are currently working on and the sorting is completely sporadic!

• Gwen Cooper
    Options

Same issue, logged a ticket and following for updates.

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Smartsheet, can anyone provide an update on when this is scheduled to be fixed? 

• Janelle
    Janelle ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I am having sorting issues also. I have a list of 120 projects we are working on and I want to sort by the project location. The first 96 records sort great. Row 97 starts another alpha sort. I want them to all sort together. I have checked to see if the rows are locks and they are not locks. 

Any help out there?

• Jamie Bedford
    Options

It might just be a smartsheetgov issue at this point, but this is still broken for me in 2022. Report sorting does not change when sorting by a Contact List column. Need to use a helper column to sort instead...

• Mike Wilday
    Mike Wilday ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Genevieve P. Is this something that Smartsheet is aware of?

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Options

Hi, Thanks for the tag, Mike!

@Jamie Bedford, I'm unable to test on a .GOV account; if you're seeing unexpected behaviour in a GOV report, please contact the Support team with a screen recording or screen captures so they can troubleshoot this with you.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• Jamie Bedford
    Options

Thanks, @Genevieve P. -- I did actually submit a support ticket for this, and received the following response (which amounts to "that's just how Reports work -- they don't sort by Contact List because it's a Dropdown"):

I did check to see if this a known bug, but found no documentation that confirms this. This is a known behavior with dropdown value columns and the sort function. According to the Help Article, Sort Rows to Organize Your Data, "When you sort a report, items will be sorted in ascending or descending order. If you sort on a column that is a Dropdown List type in the source sheet, items won’t sort based on the predetermined dropdown values in the included source sheets." So, unfortunately, a Contact List is a Dropdown Value which will not respond to the sort function. 

In researching other ways to get the same result, I found that the rule applies to Grouping in Report Builder as well. According to Sort Your Report Results with Report Builder, "Keep the following Dropdown List sorting behavior in mind:

Dropdown List sorting behaves different in Reports and Sheets. When you sort a report, items will be sorted in ascending or descending order. Unlike sheets, if you sort on a column that is a Dropdown List type in the source sheet, items won’t sort based on the predetermined dropdown values in the column properties of the source sheet." 

I will submit this as a Feature Request to our team of Engineers. We love customer feedback and do our best to add features and functionality to Smartsheet based on these suggestions.