Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How can I have a Timesheet?

Options

I appreciate your recomendations.

timesheet daily.jpg

Comments

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Jose,

I'm sure someone has something like this already built. 

Hopefully they'll chime in. Until then, let's assume you have to build it from scratch.

A Webform would work, but would be a nightmare to do the data entry because it only does one row at a time. 

When you say "several resources" do you mean a few, a few dozen, or hundreds?

For any of those, but better for the first two, you could set up sheet that is the current period, it could be nearly identical to what I see in the image. 

You could set up the most rows you expect to need for any particular person and then set up a recurring Update Request to each person. When the data is filled in (and there are ways you could flag that), you save the data as a new sheet (with the date) and clear out the data for the next week's timesheet.

Most of that could be automated too.

It depends on a few things and that is only one way.

Is that data in Excel or another program?

Hope this sparks some thoughts.

Craig

• Chuck Muirhead
    Chuck Muirhead ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Good morning Jose,

We currently are using ActiTime for hours entry, but are working on a SmartSheet solution and here is what we have so far. 

Each employee is assigned a personalized WebForm like this: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form?EQBCT=08ba987910cd4ffc91228f1844514713

The data is then added to this sheet: <IFRAME WIDTH=1000 HEIGHT=700 FRAMEBORDER=0 SRC="http://publish.smartsheet.com/a8b61bfd66f64e92b192b308a6693dd2"></IFRAME>

We have created individual reports for each employee that only shows their time and they can edit entries already made.

Having an easier way to enter time would be great and the ability to have add calculations to a report.

Sample Employee Time Report.jpg

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Chuck,

When you say "personalized", do you mean one WebForm per person or only a single WebForm sent to each individual?

What was the reason behind the radio buttons for hours and minutes instead of having them enter a number? 

Thanks.

Craig

• Chuck Muirhead
    Chuck Muirhead ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi Craig,

Yes, "Personalized" means we create a webform for each employee.  This saves them one step and ensures they do not accidentlaly choose another employee from the drop-down menu (webform has this section with a default selection and hidden). 

The reason for the radio buttons was that there are too many varibales and the possiblity of someone entering their time wrong.   Once an employee submits their time I have an addittional column that translates the time entered (via radio buttons) to what we need for our payroll system (=[Time (hours)]8 + [Time (minutes)]8 / 60).

After reading your comment though, I could have them enter the minutes spent with a client rather than selecting hours and minutes.  I will play around with it and once I determine the correct formula, I will share.  Thanks Craig for commenting....

• Hugh McKinney
    Options

Hi Chuck, would you mind re-sending the link for the employee personalized WebForm you are working on. I am in the process of setting up an employee time sheet and would be interested in taking a look at your solution with WebForms.

Regards Hugh

• hector52
    Options

Hello

Does anyone have a simple formula that will calculate hours and minutes spent on jobs/projects.

Example:

I have a Start Time of 8:00 in one column and a End Time of 16:00 in another and a third column with Total Hours, but can not get the correct formula to calculate this?

Can anyone help please.

• Richard Rymill SBP
    Richard Rymill SBP ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hector

There are workarounds to achieve this in Smartsheet but they are not very elegant or user friendly, so we have developed an easy to us Timesheet using Appsheet as the user Interface and the resultant data can be kept in Smartsheet if you wish or often better, in Excel or Google sheet, you have the choice. 

I can demo this to you on a Screenshare and the cost ( while there is a cost) is very low. 

Easy to use and administer Time sheets is probably one of the most popular requests, also splitting single tasks to be completed by a list of workers eg $10k budget to complete XAZ work & completed by 10 different people over 3 weeks, is easy using this system and the resultant data increments in Smartsheet. 

Let us know if you would like to know more? 

RichardR 

ps I can show you some Smartsheet only, workarounds but they are not elegant. 

This discussion has been closed.