Help with update requests

William.P
William.P
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Hi all, trying to get my head around automating update requests.

I have a large sheet with many columns, each row is a record of an employee, most easily identified by the "email" column which is a type 'contact' and has their valid work email.  It also tracks a multitude of events they attended, their reporting manager, certifications and so on.

Amongst these there are a handful of columns that I would like every individual to validate, correct or update, but by no means all.

Now, when I have used the update row feature before, I selected a row (or rows) and triggered an update request to which I added an/their email.  At this time I was able to de-select columns that I didn't need to present to the user in the form.

However, this approach would necessitate going through the whole sheet row by row to send the update requests, so I looked into the automated update request using a date as the trigger.

Thus the column with their "email" will be used to send an update request to each row and I was able to include the basic prerequisites to exclude those members from the sheet for whom I don't need updates.

So far so good, but when I have created this rule it appears that I can't edit the rows that it will ask to update the way that the manual trigger does? 

Is that right or am I missing something?

I hope this explains my use case ok, please let me know if I need to clarify.

TIA

Will

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/28/19

Hi Will,

If I understand your question correctly, you want to select which columns to include in the update request also when it's automated thru Alerts & Actions.

In the update request configuration, you can change which columns should be included. Request an update field > click on the three dots > Advanced options > check Display only these columns > select columns

Hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.