Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

How to Filter by Parant row (including Children)?

Options

Comments

• RyanM
    Options

Having an 'include child rows' function would solve several workflow issues my team is currently having to work around. This feature would be MUCH appreciated!

• JaydeMorgan
    Options

Yes please my vote for being able to add children row when filtering. I'm finding this a big hurdle in my sheet to overcome!

• klsalvini16801
    Options

+1 for "include Children" option for filter

• rock40926
    Options

Yet another vote for an include children filter. One of our issues with using Smartsheet as compared to other apps is that it doesn't seem to support an easy way of restricting view to a smaller working set of tasks. 

• gregjohnsondsm43126
    Options

Yes, we need this too.  It is not a feature request, it is really a basic missing component.   Mr. Williams 'work around' really doesn't address the problem.  There are often times the parent row will have data that you don't want to propagate down to the children, yet you want to show the children on the filtered view.

Along these lines, the ability to copy a collapsed row (including children) would be great. Maybe it exists but casual usage says it doesn't.

• JackDanless
    Options

I also give my vote for "include children" into filter function and hope we all get listened soon.

mailyes

• mkcox
    Options

Very needed basic ask.  Here is my vote.  Not sure what voting does as it looks like this need has been overlooked/passed over since 2016. 

• Shawn Pete
    Options

Add me to the Include Children in filter.  I have often have a column I would like to filter by and would like to see the children of the resulting filtered items.

• Mattias
    Mattias ✭✭
    Options

+1 on this feature. 

Filter on this --> Construction (Parent)

Include in view --> Floor 1 (Child)

Include in view --> Floor 2 (Child)

Include in view --> Floor 3 (Child)

• Duffy
    Options

+1 on this essential feature

• JaredM
    Options

+1 for this enhancement from me as well.  

This seems like an essential feature add-on given the row hierarchy feature already built in to Smartsheet. This would definitely make viewing subsets of parent by children row data much easier. 

• Mattias
    Mattias ✭✭
    edited 11/26/18
    Options

I have to +1 this once more since I am constantly scratching my head trying to create filters as the project grows...

Small example of layout with parents and children

-Construction

--Floor 1

--- Things going on

--Floor 2

--- Things going on

--Floor X (and so on up to 8)

--- Things going on

-Electrical

--Floor 1

--- Things going on

--Floor 2

--- Things going on

--- Things going on

-Furniture

--Floor 1

--- Things going on

--Floor 2

--- Things going on

--- Things going on

Now I would like to filter Floor 2 all activities...

• +1 While there are workarounds, filter by Parent and Include Children would be useful. 

• hanseric
    hanseric ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I would very much like this feature as well!

Even made a screenshot for it (before I found this thread). :)

Add Include child row flag.png

• SilverArcher
    Options

Does anyone know if this is on their development roadmap yet?

This is a pretty crucial feature for a hierarchically organized system.

This discussion has been closed.