rolling up detailed project dates up to a high level gantt chart

Tig
Tig
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

We create a detailed Gantt chart for each project we are working internally.  I'd like to roll up that data to a higher view where I can see where we stand with each project on a single Gantt chart.  Is this possible?

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Yes, either with a report or thru cell linking to another sheet.

Would that work?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• I tried to do this as well, but never landed on a super clean outcome.

The struggle is that any "New" project that you create is not automatically included in your preexisting "Roll-up" view. You would have to manually add any new projects to the cell linking each time a new one was created.

I'm currently working on a possible solution by using the "Reports" tool, but it still requires a small bit of manual hand holding. I am putting all of my active projects into a single directory in Smartsheet. Then each time I want to roll all of the active projects into a single report, I have to manually update the "Where?" selection by unselecting then reselecting the entire folder where the active projects are stored. This picks up any newly added projects. Then the results can be displayed in the report, which I have set to show as a Gantt View.

If this sounds like a feasible solution for you, I can attempt to provide more specific details. The main trick is to organize whatever projects you want to be included into a single directory in Smartsheet. Then you can move them out of that folder (but not a subdirectory of the same folder) once you no longer want them to be included.