Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Sanity check needed

J. Craig Williams
J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

For the PM's out there

Duration: 1 hour

Pred: 23FS - 1h

Duration: 1 hour

Pred: 23FF

should both start and end at the same time (that is start 1 hour before 23 ends and finishes when 23 ends)

I'm not missing something there, am I?

While the first is allowed, perhaps it should not be as that invalidates the "predecessor must finish before I can start".

Craig

Comments

• Hi Craig

I agree with what you say, I suspect the first is simply handled as an FF.

Andy

• Travis
    Travis Employee

Craig, you are correct in that both tasks will start and finish at the same time, which is 1 hour before row 23 finishes. 

This is just how lag days work, you can link a task to another with predecessors but can add positive or negative lag days to get the exact start/end times you are looking for. 

Predecessors will link tasks together but are not constraints (which exist in MS Project). Because it is not a hard constraint, there is not "predecessor must finish before I can start" logic. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Travis.

By practice, I'm going to avoid #FS-lead in the future.

It confused me (as you said MS Project would not have let me do that) and might again.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.