Can cell data create a row?

Options
lleslie001
lleslie001 ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

Let's see if I can properly explain my question!

I'm using the Meeting Agenda template to create and track agenda items.  I'm then using that sheet to add notes to each agenda item during the meeting.  I would like to use a modified version of the Agenda Item Follow Up template to turn any of those agenda items (from Meeting sheet) into task items for follow up...without copy and pasting into a new row on the Follow Up sheet.

So I'm wondering if it's possible to link an entire column to a new sheet?  Or conditional formatting? Create a macro? That would streamline this process.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi,

Depending on your specific use case it could probably be set up with cell linking, but then you would have to add the agenda items.

Another option could be to use a third-party solution like Zapier or similar to automate creating the agenda items on the second sheet.

Would any of the above options work?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• lleslie001
    Options

Hummm...was hoping to avoid 3rd party options.  Can conditional formatting be used in a logical sense like this "If phrase begins with '*' create a new row on linked sheet"??? Wishful thinking! :)

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Conditional formatting is only for formatting, and there aren't any "Automation" features.

Smartsheet has said that they have plans to release automation features that will enable move/copy rows and more in the future.

Until then it might work with cell linking for your use case.

Can you describe your process in more detail and maybe share the sheet(s) or some screenshots? That would make it easier to help. (share too, andree@getdone.se)

Hope that helps!

Best,

Andrée

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.