Help with Countif Function Referecing 2 Columns on a different Sheet

COliver
COliver
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I want to be able to see the count of Projects that are assigned to a specific person in one column and have a status of complete in another column.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong?

=COUNTIF({Master Task & Project List Range 1}, "Crystal Oliver", {Master Task & Project List Range 2}, "Complete")

Am receiving "Incorrect Argument Set" error. :(

Comments

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Oliver,

Try this.

=COUNTIFS({Master Task & Project List Range 1}; "Crystal Oliver"; {Master Task & Project List Range 2}; "Complete")    

The same version but with the below changes for your and others convenience.  

=COUNTIFS({Master Task & Project List Range 1}, "Crystal Oliver", {Master Task & Project List Range 2}, "Complete")

Depending on your country you’ll need to exchange the comma to a period and the semi-colon to a comma.

Did it work?

Have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå

Workflow Consultant @ Get Done Consulting

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

To further expand on Andree's solution...

The issue you are running into with your original formula is that COUNTIF is designed for only ONE set of range/criteria whereas COUNTIFS (note the "S") can handle MULTIPLE sets.

I personally have gotten into the habit of only using COUNTIFS (and SUMIFS for that matter) and completely disregarding the non-S version as that allows me to further expand if needed without having to worry about forgetting to add that one little letter in. 

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!