Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Entering a date with just Month/date

Options
Tami Chapman
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Does anyone know if you can enter just the month/date for the date information.  I need to be able to just base my date column on Month/Date without the year.

Comments

• Zack S
    Zack S Employee
    Options

Hello Tami, 

At this time, we don’t currently have a way to enter a date into a date column/cell without a year attached, but I’ll be happy to add your vote for this capability to our enhancement request list as we’ve received this request before. 

If you make the date column a Text/Number column rather than a date column, then you’ll be able to type in dates as you need, but these won’t translate over to the Gantt chart, as that requires specific dates. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. We appreciate your input! 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/27/16
    Options

Tami,

When you say "base my date column", what exactly do you mean?

How are you using the dates?

While you can display a Gantt chart when Dependencies are not set, without a year, it might not be what you expect.

When Dependencies are set, you can not add a formula to calculate the dates in the linked columns, but without them you can.

You could enter the dates into Text/Number columns as Zack suggested.

Then you could auto-populate the start and end dates from them.

Assuming you might enter Feb 1st as 2/1 or 02/01 or something else, I will assume you enter using two numbers separated by a slash.

Adding this formula to a Date column

=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()), VALUE(LEFT(Entered_Date23, FIND("/", Entered_Date23) - 1)), VALUE(RIGHT(Entered_Date23, FIND("/", Entered_Date23) - 1)))

will look at row 23 of the Entered_Date column and turn something like

2/1

into 

02/01/16

as a real date.

For long term use, I'd probably switch out Today() for Created (Date) to get a permanent date.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.