Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

sort rows by revision date

Options
Tim McCarthy
Tim McCarthy ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Can a sheet's rows be sorted according to date of revision? Sorting this way would allow a quick view of the latest revisions that have been made to the sheet.

Tags:

Comments

• Zac
    Options

Yes you have the option to add a few different system columns to a sheet, modified date being one of them. Add the modified date column and then sort descending and the most recently modified rows should be on the top of your sheet.

• Jeff K.
    Options

I prefer to keep the sheet as is (no sorting), but use Filter on the the modified date column...This way you won't screw up the layout later on when you exit the sheet/save

• Zac
    Zac
    edited 02/25/16
    Options

I agree with Jeff. Sorting has a tendency to do more harm than good on sheets. It will mess up your layout and it's very cumbersome to try to get it back to the way it was. Another option for you Tim might be the Highlight Changes feature. It will highlight any cells modified based on the criteria you choose and is simple to turn on and off.

• Tim McCarthy
    Tim McCarthy ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks Zac and Jeff. I agree about the sorting of sheets. Now, I am thinking that I could perform the sort in a report.

• rach
    Options

"Sorting has a tendency to do more harm than good in sheets"

Wish there was some warning about sorting rows (apart from the help community!) ! I've made a mess of a project by viewing in alphabetical order. Well, I thought I was viewing, now turns out I was 'sorting', with no way to go back. 

The only clue I've garnered that might help me fix this is a mention somewhere that I can sort the 'automatic number' column? Does anyone know how to do this?

This won't fix it 100%, as some rows have been inserted in the middle of sheet at different times etc, but will help somewhat. 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To turn on auto-numbering, add a new column and set the type to "Auto-Number System" and then "Auto-Number"

You've already pointed out some of the limitations to them. The full article is here:

https://help.smartsheet.com/articles/1108408-auto-numbering-rows

Craig

This discussion has been closed.