Need your advise on Nested if

sushilp
sushilp ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

Hi All: 

Need your advice on the following problem.

I have three columns [RUN/INVEST], [MUPOR] and [CHECK] in my sheet. I also have two separate data sheets SHEET1 and SHEET2. And I want to write an if else formula as below for [CHECK] column values

if ([RUN/INVEST]1 = "Invest") then 

{Look for [MUPOR]1 value in column1 of  SHEET1, if found there, then [CHECK]1 = "Invest FOUND in SHEET1" else "Invest NOT FOUND in SHEET1"}

elseif ([RUN/INVEST] = "Run") then 

{Look for [MUPOR]1 value in column1 of  SHEET2, if found there, then [CHECK]1 = "Run FOUND in SHEET2" else "Run NOT FOUND in SHEET2"}

else 

( [CHECK]1 = "NEITHER INVEST NOT RUN")

Is this kind of formula possible to develop in smartsheet. thanks for your help.

thanks

Sushil 

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It seems like you are trying to display multiple values in the [CHECK] column?

I'm kinda of confused with what exactly you are trying to accomplish.

You want to look in Sheet 1 for the word "Invest" based off of what is in the [MUPOR] column of your 3rd sheet? If it is there in sheet 1 then you want it to display a specific phrase, but if it is not found then display something else, but if "Run" is found on sheet 2 then display another specific phrase, otherwise display yet something else, and if it is not found in either then display this final phrase?

Is sheet 1 always going to say "Invest" and never "Run" and sheet 2 always say "Run" and never "Invest"? What if it is found on both sheets?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!