Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Use a formula in project sheet start date for milestone?

Options
Gordon
Gordon ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Is it possible to use a formula in a project sheet's start and/or end date columns?  I'm trying to have a date entered into a start date column in the project sheet based on a date entered as text in another text column.  I've already found a formula that works to convert date-as-text to a date format, and I've confirmed the formula works when input into a regular date column, but it doesn't work in the start or end date columns in the project sheet.

Tags:

Comments

• Zack S
    Zack S Employee
    edited 02/26/16
    Options

Hello Gordon, 

When dependencies are enabled on a sheet, formulas aren’t allowed in the dependency-enabled columns: Start Date, Finish Date, Duration, Predecessors, % Complete or % Allocation. The values in these columns are generated automatically by Smartsheet based on the dependency settings and would overwrite any formulas you enter yourself. For this reason, if a formula is manually typed into one of these columns, it will display as plain text rather than performing the calculation.

We receive this type of request from customers every so often, and I’ll be sure to add your vote of support for formulas in a dependency column to our enhancement request list for our Product team. We appreciate your input! 

Let me know if you have questions. 

-Zack 

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Zack,

In the current system, % Complete or % Allocation are not calculated values, that is there is nothing the user can do that will cause these to change (unlike Start & Finish Dates and Duration), unless I am missing something.

It seems like it might not break anything to enable those for end-user formulas.

Please add my vote for formulas in dependency columns.

Thanks.

Craig

This discussion has been closed.