Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Lag times exclude weekends?

Options
Gordon
Gordon ✭✭✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2016 Posts

Are lag times calculated based on working days (i.e. weekdays)?  Is there a way to setup a lag time for a finish-to-finish dependency based on elapsed dates/calendar days?  For example, if I have a report date milestone of June 1, 2016 and I need to set a filing deadline milestone at 60 total days after June 1. or July 31, 2016 in this example.   However Smartsheet is calculating the filing date milestone as August 25 when I enter it as FF + 60 in the predecessor column, I think because I have setup only Mon-Friday as working dates in my account settings and July 4th is a holiday as well.  I don't want to change the working days or holidays settings, but this one particular milestone/deadline has to be based on 60 total elapsed calendar days after it's predecessor.

Comments

• Zack S
    Zack S Employee
    edited 02/26/16
    Options

Hello Gordon, 

At this time, Lag Days will exclude non working days, and we don't have a way to put in elapsed time for lag days, though we have received this request since we introduced the idea of elapsed time to Smartsheet. I'll be sure to add your vote of support for this functionality as well. 

-Zack 

• Gordon
    Gordon ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Bummer.  I guess I'll have to use some workaround formula of networkdays or something similar.  Unfortunately, I still won't get it as a milestone, since I cannot have a formula in the start or end date columns in a project sheet.

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/28/16
    Options

Gordon,

Here's a work-around.

Ugly and a hack, but functional.

I added two columns, 

• 60 day filling (Date column)
    • Date Check (Checkbox column)

I added a row below the triggering milestone that uses the triggering date + 60 in the [60 day filling] column. That tells me what date I want.

I manually update Duration, Start, and Finish.

In the [Date Check] column, I check if the Finish Date matches the date I want.

And then I used conditional highlighting to tell me I need to fix it.

Row 2 needs to be fixed. Row 4 doesn't.

Hope this helps.

Craig

60DayLag_2.jpg

• J. Craig Williams
    J. Craig Williams ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Note that if you need to have the 2nd milestone in the predecessor/successor paths, this will break your critical path display.

Craig

• Kristi Viles
    Options

I would like to put in a vote for the "lag excluding weekends" option!  Thanks-K

• Kennedy Stomps
    Options

I have added your vote, Kristi!

• Tauries
    Options

This is an old discussion, but is it solved? Is it possible to insert elapsed time in Predecessors?

• tcer
    tcer ✭✭✭
    Options

Another vote for elapsed time in predecessor lag

This discussion has been closed.