Welcome to the Smartsheet Forum Archives

The posts in this forum are no longer monitored for accuracy and their content may no longer be current. If there's a discussion here that interests you and you'd like to find (or create) a more current version, please Visit the Current Forums.

Do you support "Hammock"?

David.Lin
David.Lin
edited 12/09/19 in Archived 2015 Posts

Do smartshett support hammock?

Tags:

Comments

• Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 06/03/15

I am not familiar with Hammock. Could you provide a little more information about what that is?

• David.Lin
    David.Lin
    edited 06/03/15
  • Travis
    Travis Employee
    edited 06/04/15

Thanks David. While you can use predecessors to link a task to the start date of one task the end date of another task, Smartsheet will not adjust duration based on predecessors, so you will not have the same functionally as a hammock task in MS Project

• Charles DESCOTES
    edited 10/10/16

An odd way to do it is to create another smartsheet, that you may call "Link hostel"

In this new sheet you will cell-link the key information for your hammock task, i.e. start date and duration.

Then, back into your primary smartsheet, you can cell-link the needed information to where you need.

Be careful to avoid any circular calculation on the way.

Drawback is obviously creating and maintaining a secondary sheet.

Alternatively you can create two children beneath the task you want as a hammock.

The first child task will be a milestone refering to the starting date.

The second child task will be a milestone refering to the end date.

As a consequence, the hammock task being the parent of such children will position accross both start and end dates = both milestone-children.

The drawback of this way is that you cannot allocate resource to a parent task.

However, you can work around it by adding a dedicated column to address resource data + use PRORATE function..

• MarcRNelson
    MarcRNelson ✭✭✭

Thank you Charles.  This approach seems to accomplish what a Hammock task does. I agree this is not the most efficient approach with an additional sheet but it will get the job done for now.  Hopefully at some point Smartsheet will take a good look at Excel and MS Project features and bridge any gaps.  The more I can say "yes" we can do that in Smartsheet the better the adoption will be.

This discussion has been closed.