Risk Assessment formula conversion from excel to smartsheet

Faz Mussa
Faz Mussa ✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Formulas and Functions

I'm trying to convert an excel formula to use in smartsheet without much success. 

The excel formula is:

=IFERROR(MATCH($F4,'Lookup Table'!$B$3:$B$7,0)*MATCH($G4,'Lookup Table'!$B$3:$B$7,0),"")

In short, I need the 'Risk Matrix' column in smartsheet to show the score where the probability and impact rating intersect.

I didn't create the excel file (or formula) and am not a formula expert as is probably obvious from my question. 

Can anyone help?

Capture 1.JPG

Tags:

Comments

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The easy way or the hard way?

the easy way is to switch from using text and use numbers. Instead of very low - very high it would be 1 - 5 and all you have to do is multiply them.

=[Column2]1 * [Column3]1

the hard way is to convert the text into numbers then multiply them

=if([Column2]1 = "Very High",5,if([Column2]1 = "High", 4,if([Column2]1 = "Medium", 3, if([Column2]1 = "Low",2,1)))) * if([Column3]1 = "Very High",5,if([Column3]1 = "High", 4,if([Column3]1 = "Medium", 3, if([Column3]1 = "Low",2,1

Neither of these requires your risk matrix. Just change the column names to what yours are, and change the text if you are using just the letter instead of the full text.

• L_123
    L_123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 03/21/19

If you really want to use the risk matrix for some reason, you need to use index match match.

=INDEX([Column4]1:[Column9]5, MATCH([Column2]1, [Column4]:[Column4], 0), MATCH([Column3]1, [Column4]5:[Column9]5, 0))

• I thought about doing it the easy way round but wanted to maintain the status quo. The second solution worked perfectly. Thanks so much for your help.

• kellyj
    kellyj Employee

*Test Comment*

• Tribeiro
    Tribeiro ✭✭✭

Man, that is awesome! is there somehow you can share this smartsheet as a template?

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!