Live Data Connector & Excel (no success with larger reports)

Mike L.
Mike L. ✭✭✭
edited 12/09/19 in Smartsheet Basics

I'd like to connect to a report that is 32 columns by 217K rows, but I don't think it's going to happen.  I've tried switching to a newer computer and that increased the number of rows I could pull in but it's still not even close.  I even managed to test 64 bit office with the 64 bit connector but sad to say that didn't do it either.  

Possible Next steps:

- ditch excel for a different tool (Tableau?)

- go into workaround mode (work with smaller reports and stitch them together in excel)

- research the smartsheet pivot app to see if it can handle this amount of data

(I really don't think that this is a large amount of data, am I silly to think this is doable?)

All feedback welcome, thank you!

Comments

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I do know that SS has a 5,000 row limit per sheet. Depending on what kind of data is being pulled through, it may be exceeding that. Could that be the issue?

• Hi Mike,

The Live Data Connector (ODBC driver for Smartsheet) leverages the Smartsheet API and there is a limit you will encounter for report requests to the API. The actual number of rows will depend on a number of variables like number of columns and the contents of those columns.

If you filled cells to their character limits for example, that would make for a larger API request, and would result in a fewer number of rows that could be pulled before you started to see issues.

I would suggest breaking your report up and then consolidating your data within Excel after pulling the separate reports over through the Live Data Connector.

If you have any other questions please feel free to submit a ticket to Smartsheet Support here: https://help.smartsheet.com/contact

Kind regards,

Nathan